- 01. From Within
02. Voice Of The 7th Angel
03. Life Waves
05. A Feeling
06. Tulsa Black[engl] Mutima is the debut album led by bassist Cecil McBee recorded in 1974 and first released on the Strata-East label. In his review for AllMusic.com Michael G. Nastos called it "A landmark recording in early creative improvised modern music" and states "McBee as a pure musician has staggering technique, rich harmonic ideas, and an indefatigable swing, but it is as a composer that he is set apart from other musicians of this mid-'70s era… Mutima (translated as "unseen forces") undoubtedly solidified his stature and brilliance as a major player". Dustygroove.com now calls it: “A great bit of spiritual soul jazz – and one of the few albums as a leader recorded by the legendary bassist Cecil McBee! Cecil's joined here by a large group of players that includes Billy Hart on drums, George Adams on tenor, Onaje Allen Gumbs on piano, Jimmy Hopps on percussion, Art Webb on flute and Dee Dee Bridgewater on vocals – adding in just a touch of soulful color to the record as she did on a few other 70s sides like this.” Plus: “The music's got that essential Strata East sound, with a rich and spiritual vibe on all tracks, and slight bits of funk hiding somewhere in the mix! Tracks are long and freely expressive – but never too outside, either.” A long lost classic we call it. And this latest reissue is the best vinyl version ever since it first appeared almost 45 years ago!
- 01. Ruego De Amor (Indian Love Call)
02. La Casita
03. Madrecita Linda
04. Dulce Y Amarga
05. Testigo Fui
07. El Pachuco (Low Rider)
08. Dime La Verdad (Tell It Like It Is)
09. La Culebra
10. Me Patina El Coco
11. Tomas Al Timbal
12. Contrabando Y Traicion
13. Movin On[engl] This very productive trumpeter and bandleader hails from El Paso, Texas. ‘Mucha Salsa’ from 1978 is essentially an obscure salsa set from Ray Camacho – an artist who always seems willing to mix up styles in his music. That's definitely the case here, as Ray mixes straighter Latin modes with a few border touches – creating a hybrid of New York and Mexican modes that's pretty unique – but which also has some occasional funk and soul currents that are probably the record's strongest suit. Ray plays trumpet off course and the rest of the group includes guitar, trombone, and plenty of percussion – plus sax and piano from Manuel Palafox, who also handles arrangements. Titles include a great cover of "Low Rider", dubbed "El Pachuco", the Latin funk number "Tomas Al Timbal" and a funky take on Brass Construction's "Movin On". Plus the o so sweet cover of Aaron Neville’s classic ballad ‘Tell It Like It Is’ here named ‘Dime La Verdad’. This carefully prepared record is the first proper reissue in 40 years of this amazingly diverse project. In all it’s original glory!
- 01. Music Is The Only Way (I Can Communicate)
03. Lost In Space
04. I Was In Love With You (And Didn't Even Know It)
05. Goodbye My Love Goodbye
06. Try My Love Tonight
07. Two People Working Together[engl] The group Shake was the brainchild of the elusive soul and funk singer/producer Lenis Guess from Norfolk, Virginia. It is now considered one of the great overlooked funk bands of the late 70s Virginia scene – a tight little combo with a warm style that's just right for the dancefloor! The VA groove of the time was a different take on the styles being used up north in Philly and New York – as the groups were often more traditionally funk-based, especially in their instrumentation – but played in a mode that was upbeat and soaring, perfectly suited for the disco-era dancefloor, yet handled with the sincerity of an indie soul group. Shake communicate a heck of a lot in their music – moving through some great original tunes written by producer Lenis Guess, done with some nicely personal touches that maintain the indie spirit of the set, even though the group's overall sound is tightly professional. Originally released on Guess records, it includes the Kon & Amir favourite 'Lost In Space', but the whole album is just great.
- 01. I'm Not Responsible
03. You Move Me
04. Please Don't Leave Me
05. I'll Still Be There
06. Baby You're Right
07. Turn Around, Look At Me
08. I'm In Love
09. Have I
10. The China Doll[engl] This extremely well crafted LP from 1970 is like a holy grail for sixties soul lovers. Just a few hundred promo-only copies were pressed on the Sundi label at the time and clean originals now fetch at least four figure sums. Singer-songwriter Alexandra Brown has worked extensively as a back-up singer with Ray Charles as member of the Raeletts and Monk Higgins with whom she wrote and recorded many tracks for his albums and soundtrack projects. Higgins also arranged, conducted, produced and co-wrote this amazingly great LP, incredibly Alex’ one and only solo album. This is absolutely the first ever official re-release and also the very first time in CD format. It comes in pristine sound quality drawn from the best known original sources.
- 01. (I Want To Be) Whatever It Takes To Please You
02. Overdose Of Love
03. The Love I Need
04. Didn't I Fool You?
05. You Made A Believer Out Of Me
06. Good 'N Plenty
07. You Ole Boo Boo You
08. Just Lovin' You
09. My Love Is Comin' Down
10. Hound Dog[engl] Although for the longest time she has been a Chicago resident, Ruby Andrews’s wonderfully dramatic vocals sounds like straight from the deep south of the USA. Actually, that is where she was born in Hollandale, Mississippi, in 1947. She recorded at least six albums that are each highly treasured by soul and funk fans all over the world. Black Ruby, the brilliant second LP from this marvelous soulsinger first appeared on the Zodiac label in 1972. Just one minor nationally charted hit came off the LP. But as a whole it is even more revered than her hit-laden predecessor among soul aficionado’s. It’s considered an exemplary classic of a deep- and Chicago-soul album. The music has re-appeared some times in one form or another but the LP was never before fully reissued on high quality vinyl! Everland is thus very proud to re-present the Black Ruby album in closest to original format with that beautifully designed and shiny psychedelic album cover. A true Gem indeed.
- [engl] The Gunesh Ensemble was founded in 1970 in Ashkhabad, Turkmen Soviet Socialist Republic, then part of the Soviet Union. They started out as a vocal group with supporting musicians from Turkmenistan State Radio and TV. Later several young musicians came to play with them and the band's music became much more modern. The group began to play jazz-rock tightly intertwined with traditional Oriental music. With that new musical style the band participated in some popular festivals around the Soviet Union. They received various awards and became very popular. Gunesh has always been in the process of developing and was one of the first and best local jazz-groups to organically combine the principles of jazz and melodic improvisation. The remarkably beautiful arrangements and polyrhythmic compositions were always further developed thematically. This process was highly praised at the Moscow competition With A Song On Life in 1977 where the ensemble became a prize-winner. The Organizing Committee of the Festival Spring Rhythms in Tbilisi (1980) called out members Rishad Shafi as best drummer and Stanislav Morozov as best saxophonist. This, their very fine first LP was originally released in 1980 on the Soviet state label Melodyja and contains traditional Central Asian music in jazz-rock arrangements plus a Vietnamese singer. The line-up has changed many times. Around 65 musicians have been a member of the group at some point in time.
- A1. Baby, Wiggle That Thing (04:50)
A2. Shake What You Got (04:10)
A3. Hot Thing (04:12)
A4. Walking On Air (04:12)
B1. Black Bird (03:54)
B2. Honey Put Your Trust In Me (03:48)
B3. Let Me Taste Your Love (03:42)
B4. We'll Try Again (05:24)[engl] The late Nathaniel ?Snoopy? Dean is one of those many underrated southern soul and blues men who never reached great fame outside their home ground. His legacy is deeply treasured though by hardcore black music followers. In the late sixties he instigated the now very sought after group Third Guitar who recorded some great sides for the Rojac label out of NYC. He subsequently became a member of the Deep City Band and started recording under his own name. In the early to mid seventies Dean made five singles and an album Wiggle That Thing on Henry Stone's Blue Candle imprint which is being reissued here. The album - originally released in 1977 - contains a rare combination of deep, southern soul, funk and blues in such a way that the LP really does not fall straight in neither category. In the 80?s Snoopy Dean became a much in demand session musician as a guitarist in Miami and recorded at least two more albums that belong more in the blues and indie soul field. Unfortunately Snoopy Dean died in 1998 due to complications arising from diabetes. Still, it is this great LP Wiggle That Thing he will be always and best remembered for.
- A1. She's Got It Going
A2. Can't Let Go
A4. This Time We'll Win
A5. Get It On
B1. Love Is Dangerous
B2. Shake Me
B3. Party Blues
B4. We're Gonna Have Fun Tonight
B5. This Time We'll Win (Instrumental)[engl] This is the only album from The Tutt Band known to ever be recorded. The ultra rare and sought after boogie-funk LP on Spoonful Records out of Phoenix, Arizona was released in 1988, but style-wise it sounds much more like being recorded in 1983 or 1984. It contains ten very solid and good tracks - both club tunes and slow jams - that all hit the required spot. There's also some treats for all Roger Troutman and vocoder lovers. Head straight to the ultra dope tracks 'Get It On' and 'She's Got It Going'. In retrospect The Tutt Band has been one of the little known but essential groups whom created the funky and beat heavy new jack swing sound that dominated American r&b from the mid eighties and early nineties.
- [engl] One of the greatest soul funk albums of the 80s, and a darn record to find! The tracks are nice and tight, with sort of a smooth modern soul and a good dancefloor groove. Made by a vast collective of musicians in and around LA in the early eighties who recorded for the KMA and Jam-Power labels. Most famous from that collective became Chuckii Booker who went on to solo fame. Gift Of Dreams recorded two full albums for Jam-Power, this being the first and a bit more soulful of the two. Overall there are already many touches of electro, boogie and funk which makes this music being in such high demand. This beautifully restored reissue contains all the info and illustrations of the very first, full colour and pretty artsy LP-sleeve design. Licensed by David Wooley, Jam Power Records
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- [engl]2018 REPRESS! Popular and increasingly in demand, IZIPHO ZAM (my gifts) falls into the ?rare? category among record collectors and is a gift to fans of master Pharoah Sanders. This demand is partially galvanized by the fact that ?Prince Of Peace? has become an inspirational mine to Hip Hop artists and is much loved by samplers. Izipho Zam is Pharoah Sander?s 3rd album, initially recorded in january 1969, it was originally released on the Strata-East label in 1973. On Izipho Zam Sanders and his band take you on a journey into another world providing an amazing experience! Passionate, intense and free, Sanders saxophone especially, is exquisite, pouring out its soul telling a story of its own. Hailed by peers as the best tenor saxophonist in the world, Pharoah Sanders is a legend in Jazz music. He is regarded as one of the pioneers of free jazz and is the mentor of jazz giant, saxophonist Robert Stewart. Born in 1940 into a musical family as Farell Sanders in Arkansas, he first played the clarinet before switching to tenor saxophone in High school. After High school he moved to California to study music and art. In 1961 Sanders moved to New York where he often played gigs with a number of free jazz dignitaries including Billy Higgins, Sun Ra and Don Cherry. His name ?Pharoah? was given to him by Sun Ra, who was his bandleader then.
- 01. Revelli Rock
03. Talkin' Pretty / Michelle
04. Boo Be Da
07. Jazz Waltz
08. Five X Five
09. Sleigh Ride
10. Cool[engl] Earlier in 2017 Everland Jazz presented a reissue of Danser's Inferno's - Creation One, originally released in 1973. Now we present the even more obscure release The Danser Revolution by The John Danser Octet, almost impossible to find in original format. The ultra rare funky jazz LP from 1977 contains the killer funky fusion tune ''Cool'' known for being sampled by Gangstarr, Blackalicious and J.Dilla. At age 14, John Danser emigrated from London and established himself in New York City where he earned a master's degree in music at the Manhattan school of music. In his early years, Danser played in classical as well as jazz gigs, simultaneously arranging and composing. In the 1970?s, composer and multi-instrumentalist John Danser formed Danser?s Inferno, a funky Jazz-Rock-Fusion band, an ensemble of 14 very talented musicians. The John Danser Octet most probably contains the core of that same ensemble but the groups?s single album is so rare that little is known about it?s exact origins. So, just let the great music speak for itself. Licensed from Jessica Danser
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- 01. Looks Like Your Funk
02. Scared At Night
03. A Man
06. Me, Myself And I
08. Woop, Tee, Doo[engl] In his late teens Rev. Gary Hairston wasn?t only serving the Lord, he was also a member of funk outfit OPUS 7, that recorded the great album ''Thoughts'' in 1979. Although it was distributed nationwide, the group album was not very successful. In 1983 the Winston-Salem, NC native Gary Hairston delivered the now mega rare album ''Chilling Out'', his debut solo-album under the moniker GARY. It was recorded under the auspices of legendary musician/producer Harry Deal at his Galaxie III studios. Now the album is a well sought after electro, funk and boogie classic, and EVERLAND is proud to present the very first and official reissue of this previously almost unobtainable private press nugget.
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- [engl] Here?s one very rare early 80?s soul and boogie LP, as clean original copies now fetch well over $500, if you can find it... This brand new and first official reissue ever contains the now classic modern soul dancer ?Not About That (Show Me Some Respect)? alongside some very attractive ballad material for the more dedicated soul fans. The elusive Van Jones from Pughsville, VA continued to record - as he did since 1976 - several 7? and 12? singles into the decade. But this highly sought after album from 1981 is widely considered as the definitive moment in his short though fruitful recording career. - Marc Janssen, www.everland-music.com
- [engl] Mr. O.T. Sykes is often and fondly called ?The Singing Dentist? but it?s far from a joke. Dr. Sykes, who till this day never gave up his day job, chooses to do only top quality music. He will not sell out to an already overcrowded pop-market as this extremely well respected and very soulful LP from 1981 so eloquently proves. Within an international circle of connoisseurs O.T.Sykes ranks among the very best of soul singers. This is true soul music to the max and is written, played and produced by Jeffrey Singleton (The Frat / Frat Band / Autofrat) and Mr. Sykes himself, plus the cream of the rich music scene in Memphis, TN. Original copies are now really hard to come by so this long overdue and most carefully prepared reissue is more than welcome. - Marc Janssen, www.everland-music.com
- [engl] This well produced strong disco funk album is a hidden gem. The original is on many wants lists and rarely turns up. Heady disco funk from the glory days of the Miami soul scene in the 70?s. This smoking album by the group Obatala is tight in a good way. Core funk energy mixed with some added strings and horns. A mode that's funky club, but never straight disco at all. Titles include ''April'', ''Shades Of September'', ''Disco Party'', ''Funk-A-Fried'', ''Tight Rope'', and ''Work It Out''. A killer set throughout! - Marc Janssen, www.everland-music.com > Licensed by Henry Stone Music, Inc.
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- [engl] Straight out of high school the singer and multi-instrumentalist Donny McCullough was hired as a staff writer for Motown Records. While there, Donny learned from the best as how to write, arrange and produce music. After leaving Motown Donny started his own independent label EMC Records at the young age of twenty four and recorded his very own album From The Heart. This great soulful funk LP was first released in 1981 and features many musicians who later made international fame, such as his schoolmate Dorian Holley, who sang with Michael Jackson for over 30 years. This beautiful re-release comes straight from the source and will deservedly put full attention once again on this rare but classic funky soul LP.
- [engl] Limited edition of 250 copies! The Frat (aka The Frat Band, Autofrat) was a short lived electro funk outfit under the leadership of songwriter and producer Jeffrey Singleton. Jeffrey is best known as producer/writer on the excellent O.T. Sykes - First Love LP from 1981. Little is known about his own group apart from the band containing members Joe White, Ted White, Brigette Travis, Hugh Gray, Carlett Martin, Robert Singleton and Joey White. Only a few hands full of original copies of this excellent 7? single are known to have survived which makes this re-issue a true and most welcome feast for funk, boogie and electro fans. The music is licensed directly from original owner Jeffrey Singleton and is deliciously remastered from the best possible sources available.
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- [engl] ?Creation One? is a stunning eight track, jam packed album, so elusive but full of pure joy! Invigorating, stimulating, delightful, a treasure of rhythms grooves and breaks! ?Sombre Guitar? is the favourite to many, especially DJs! In the 1970?s, composer and multi-instrumentalist John Danser formed Danser?s Inferno, a funky Jazz-Rock-Fusion band, an ensemble of 14 very talented musicians. At age 14 John Danser emigrated from London and established himself in New York City where he earned a master?s degree in music at the Manhattan school of music. In his early years, Danser played in classical as well as jazz gigs, simultaneously arranging and composing. He later went on to have an extensive musical career and at one point served as a bandleader at Concord hotel, during the Borscht Belt era, where he played for Sammy Davis jr., Milton Berle, Bob Hope and Judy Garland. - Rachel Kinoti, www.everland-music.com > Licensed by Jessica Danser
- [engl]Way back in the early 1980?s a group of young musicians mostly in their 20's played around the LA jazz scene in a loosely organized jazz/fusion ensemble under the leadership of woodwind instrumentalist/composer-arranger Dennis Dreith. Those musicians, virtually unknown to all except their peers went on to illustrious touring and recording careers working with the biggest names in the music business and added their talents to scores of top charting recordings. Dennis himself grew into a leading film music composer and influential speaker on music industry matters. Dreith served as International President of the Recording Musicians? Association (RMA), in excess of 15 years, and served as a consultant and member of the American Federation of Musicians (AFM) Negotiating Committee. He is currently the Executive Director of the AFM & SAG-AFTRA Intellectual Property Rights Distribution Fund, overseeing numerous domestic and foreign rights agreements. The band's roster reads like a who's who of contemporary musicians these days. You may have heard of the ?Wrecking Crew,? or seen ?20 Feet From Stardom.? Now you can hear the current generation of musicians who are the unsung heroes of todays? hit records, films and television shows. The Dreith Band features a collection of world class musicians who may not be well known to the public, but are legends in music industry having recorded with Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Lady Gaga, The Beach Boys, Barbara Streisand, Steely Dan, Elvis Presley, Phil Collins, Miles Davis, Michael Jackson, The Rolling Stones and countless others.
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- [engl] Starchild Jr. named GARRETT SHIDER, is a seriously talented guitarist, much lauded and in demand in the music industry. This might be unsurprising since Garrett was brought up on guitars being the son of legendary PARLIAMENT / FUNKADELIC guitarist, musical director GARRY SHIDER. This Funky album is a tribute from son to father, and an extension of PFunk Allstars (the next generation so to speak). ?Hand me down diapers? is a punchy versatile album with gorgeous guitars and harmony. Featured on it is the Funk maestro himself, GEORGE CLINTON, as well as other bandmembers of today's FUNKADELIC crew. - Rachel Kinoti, www.everland-music.com
- Soul / Funk / Jazz
- Soul / Funk / Jazz